Friday, June 27, 2008

Swedish Inspiration

I thought I'd share some of the photos I took last summer whilst visiting Halsingland in the north of Sweden last year. The trip was organised by Nordiska Museum as part of the International Wallpaper Conference. We visited a number of 18th century farmhouses which all had roomfuls of beautifully preserved wallpaper. This was due to the fact that many of
the farmers became wealthy because of the value of their crops of flax. 
They built separate "summer houses" for parties and family events and this was where they hung the wallpapers. Because these summer houses were only used for special occasions the wallpaper has remained relatively undamaged.
Everything has stayed the same,with nothing thrown away over the years. A rarity these days in our throw away world!
Visiting Halsingland was a highlight as only a few months previously I had been intrigued  by some photos  in the March 07 issue of World of Interiors showcasing fabrics in some of the farmhouses.
I hope you enjoy the following photos, 





































2 comments:

plush patterns said...

Hi Rebecca,

So great to hear from! of course I remember you - I've often wondered what you are up to, so it was a nice to surpirse to see your comment.

Looks like you have loads on the go. Your website looks fab ! well done - I'm getting mine together at the moment. Great blog as well - i've just been looking through it, there's some brilliant inspiration here.

Should I contact you through your website? - I would love to hear more about what you've been up to and how the printing is going.

thanks for getting in contact.

speak soon Vicky x

Pascale said...

C'est très intéressant de nous faire découvrir une autre vision de la décoration.

Pascale