Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My first piece of furniture!

Our local high school in Margaret River has a fantastic woodwork department and teacher! Ian, the teacher, gives up his wednesday night to run a wood work class. No prior knowledge is needed and you can make what ever you like! Ian will help you with the construction plan, setting up with the machinery etc. Nothing is a problem, it's great!
My daughter, Anna & I decided to go and bought a large slab of Marri, which is a native timber, otherwise known as Red Gum from our local salvage yard. We decided to do a couple of console tables as they aren't too tricky. I should have taken photos as we went along, but here are a couple of the finished product. The wood has a black grain running through it and is very knotty, but I love it and am feeling very pleased with them. Now my head is buzzing with what I will make next........





one of the pair




close up of the grain

1 comment:

Pascale said...

Cette petite commode est très jolie,
j'aime beaucoup son design !

Pascale